Monday, December 28, 2009

Let's Skate

Christmas has past. My oldest son got a skateboard for Christmas, his own. I state "His own" because I have approximately 18 boards hanging up on the wall and another 2 or 3 boards rolling around somewhere in the house. You can never have to many skateboards. I collect boards and try to purchase at least 2-3 every year when they come my way. I started skating back in the 70's and still might have some of my original boards I had as a kid. Of the boards I have collected over the years here are some of my most notable boards:

Steve Caballero Powell Peralta Board from Steve's own collection - Board only - never mounted.
G&S Stacie Peralta Warp Tail - Tracker Trucks- 90a Rat-bones
G&S Neil Blender - Circa late 80's - Tracker Trucks - Sims OJ II Street
G&S Fiberflex - Original release
Logan Earth Ski - Bob Biniak Model - Board and Grip Tape - Never mounted with trucks
Sims Hardcore
Banana Board - By Street Racer
4 Makaha Boards, 2 Plastic and 2 older wood plank boards with clay wheels
Roller Derby #10 Skateboard with Steel Wheels

My oldest is 11 years old which seems like a good time to start his career in skateboarding - You just never know what path a skatboard will take you. He has balance and likes to skate but just does not get out enough to really learn how to manipulate the board. Last September he was fitted with a new skate helmet by Mike McGill at his shop in Encinitas, So Cal. My camera was not working so I am totally bummed that I didn't get this shot. This could be our New Years Res. to try new things like skateboarding and to have my kids get on a skimboard this summer. Here are some of the ages at which some Pros have started skating:

Christian Hosoi - 5 years old
Tony Hawk - 9 years old
Steve Caballero - 12 years old
Steve Alba - 11 years old

My other two kids got scooters for Christmas. This is a great way to start to learn balance and your own ability to accelerate your body, so we will see how it goes trying to get time in for all of their new toys and to skate.

Have not started the new skimboard yet but I should start shaping today.

m

No comments:

Post a Comment